So I have listened to and pontificated about 50 albums thus far, and thought I’d take this weekend to rest and to ponder the lessons from 10,000 words of reviewing:
- That this whole project is going to take a hell of a long time. Since it started I’ve already added about 8 more albums to the “to be reviewed” pile.
- That the front end of my collection is not very representative of my broader listening habits. It has been noticeably under-rock for example.
- That I am harsh on those acts of whom I have strong expectations.
- That I bore easily when faced with multiple output from a given performer.
- That compilation albums are not a great idea (yet shuffle on the iPod is)
- That the world is littered with a lot of filler.
But overall I’ve relished the experience (and the feedback from you all). And I will persist. I was delighted to inspire one reader to embark upon a much better music blog idea. And it triggered me to think about the music biz more generally (and blog about it on my other blog).
OK, back to the listening…